Are you a “hill seeker”?

Be a hill seeker. Most of us try to avoid hills, but what’s so good about flat? Think about it: flat tires, flat hair, flat returns and- the ultimate- flatlining. Life happens on the hills. They’re opportunities to prove to yourself that you’re stronger than you ever imagined. If you never attempt the ascent, you’ll never know the thrill of swooshing down the other side.” – Self Magazine

As an educator, this quote speaks to me in many ways.  It makes me questions how I spend most of my days. Are most of them spent in a flat easy place, where proficiency and complacency lives? Or are most of my days as an educator spent on the hills, where the true test of tenacity and perseverance lies.

More times than not, I would say that I’m driven to the hill.  Not every day…but most!  What calls me to the hill is the desire to be the best at what I do.  To always question me and my practice.  To always seek ways to do things better. To never accept that one size fits all. To never feel that I am done growing and learning.

Seeking the hill also has another byproduct that wasn’t initially in my view.  When I seek the hill, my students seek it too!  In these moments are where they get to learn their own strengths.  They also get the opportunity to practice tenacity and perseverance alongside me.  And together we feel the “swoosh” down the other side.  That’s why I teach…