Teaching vs. Sharing

Share-642x500

I recently viewed a Youtube video by Dean Shareski called the “Moral Imperative“.  The premise of his thoughts were that teachers need to do a better job at sharing.  In fact, it is a moral obligation that teachers should meet.  He even goes as far as to say, “that if teaching is sharing, then if there is no sharing, then there is no education.”  These words resonate with me since I benefit from all the wonderful educators who choose to share with me on a daily basis via Twitter, blogs, and other social networking methods.  Through these educators’ need to share, comes a great service to others and the students that they teach.  Obligation or not, there is no doubt in my mind, that I am a better practitioner today, due to the internet and making it easier for educators to share.  So why is it that sharing on a national or global level seems easier than on a local level…that’s a quandary!

http://tinyurl.com/nb47cls

One thought on “Teaching vs. Sharing

1. I am transferring to another school for several reasons, one of which is because it feels dysfunctional at my grade level. Sharing ideas is very difficult there. Why? I hope to understand better when I am out of that environment. FEAR, FRUSTRATION, IGNORANCE and minimal common time to talk shop are presently 3 adjectives and one phrase I might use to describe the problem.

I am always amazed how inspiring other teachers can be when I talk with them at professional development…so why doesn’t it exist in more schools?